enduro news
© Bob Mullins   





Brechfa 2011

Dyfed DBC Brechfa
Danny does Day One
& Tom takes Day Two
Llanybyther - 23/24th July

The 4th round of the Metzeler ACU British Enduro Championship set up camp this weekend in the pleasant market town of Llanybydder in Mid Wales for the Dyfed MCC Brechfa Enduro. A week of changeable weather had left the forest soft and wet but the forecast was for a brighter weekend and by lunchtime on Friday the clouds had begun to part to reveal a blue sky. The parc ferme was under the cover of the Market Hall and the herd of brightly coloured machines soon filed in . With the bikes safely stowed away the riders spent a lazy Summer's afternoon walking the cross country and wading around the MX test.

Overnight the skies cleared and the temperature dropped. On Saturday morning the sun and Paul Green's Metzeler inflatable elephant rose over a low lying mist .From the bakery the smell of freshly baked bread sharpened the riders appetite for their breakfasts and for the day ahead.

The first riders were away at 9.00am. The schedule was 4 laps for the Championship class. 3 laps for Experts and 2 laps for Clubman. From the start the riders traveled on the road a mile outside the town to the wooded XC test. Championship leader Greg Evans set a cracking time and established a 16 second lead. A steep hill on the test proved to be a challenge for the Clubman. Joe Deakin injured his shoulder on the first test and he retired. Army rider Gareth Davies was also out early. The head on his KTM was warped and the motor sucked in coolant. The course then traveled 10 miles south along tracks that would have been familiar to older riders as the ISCA Special Test. Another hill climb would also prove to be a special test .The liaison stage then crossed the open moorland on a rocky track that gave the riders time to get their breath back whilst taking in some breath taking views. The service area and the MX test was close to the old start of the Brechfa and here the 25 lap started in earnest,

The stage from Check 1 to Check 2 was the tight check. Lee Edmondson was one of many riders who got within yards of the flag only to see the clock flip over and he dropped a minute. The MX test held up better than many riders had anticipated. Despite some spectacular roosts there was a bottom to the ruts - unfortunately there were also sides and many riders were unceremoniously spat off. Clerk of the Course Myles Rosser and his team had laid out a narrow circuit which gave them the opportunity to move the corners if any of them got particularly cut up and some of them did. Danny McCanney set the fastest time on the first test followed by Ashley Wood and Paul Edmondson. KORRacing's Jonny Walker stalled on his 3rd test when he went on to reserve. Without a starter motor Jonny took precious seconds to fire up his KTM. Jordan Rose's Husky was firing but not quite on the target. Greg Evans also had a series of mechanical trials. He had to replace spokes, a caliper and then his fuel pipe split. With a zip tie around the tube to stem the leak Greg still managed to finish.

The riders had a final XC test before returning to Llanybyther which the Championship class rode back to back. GasGasUK;s Danny McCanney was the overall winner. KORRacing's Greg Evans was 2nd and Fast Eddy Edmondson Racing's Tom Sagar was 3rd. Fast Eddy - Paul Edmondson - himself was 4th in a close race  for E1/4 points with KORR's Daryl Bolter. Ashley Wood rung every ounce of power out his ET James KTM 125 to win the E1/2 class ahead of Lee Edmondson. At the end of the day Ashley  needed a new set of rear wheel bearings. Brad King's wrist had not recovered after a crash at Knighton and he retired. 

Steve Holcombe won the Experts. MPS Racing's Jack Rowlands was runner up and Alun Jones was 3rd. TMs Jordan Scott showed his potential with 3 fast tests before he retired. Wyn Hughes was the best of the Vets ahead of Phil Smithson and Paul Sagar. Lee Green finished with a front wheel puncture & Andrew Davies finished with a rear wheel puncture. The gearbox on Mark Jenkins' KTM seized solid and team mate Kalem Hicks lost his big end.

MPS Racing's Rob Johnson was the Best Clubman and Declan Heliwell was the runner up with maximum E1/2 points. Aled Price in 3rdwas the best E2.

Dyfed Mcc chairman Owain Peckover burnt out his clutch. He fitted a new set of plates for the 2nd day but he opted to marshal after marshals Calvin Williams and Mark Hughes were injured after colliding head on. All the best boys for a speedy recovery.

At the stamp check Carwyn Davies on a Touratech Husky found he had lost a screw off one of his battery terminals and the bike would not start so he secured the cables with a zip ties  Jack Lee was involved in a minor RTA but he was unhurt. Sadly Kev Murray was less fortunate. He clipped his hand on a tree and was taken to Carmarthen A&E for an X-ray. He returned at midnight with the arm in plaster. With only 2 weeks to the start of the ISDE in Finland it was a bitter disappointment for this popular member of the Army team.

In the evening the organisers set up a bar in the Market Hall with a Hog Roast. There was a great atmosphere and many of riders stayed up late to re-live a great first day.

Day 2 was cooler and overcast. There were 2 laps for the Clubman and 3 laps for the Championship and Experts. Gareth Davies attempted to rebuilt his motor overnight but the chrome lining of the barrel was too badly scored. Carwyn Davies crashed between the XC and the MX test. He injured his shoulder but - after a check up with the St Johns - he carried on. Rob Johnson split a radiator but he was able to seal the leak with putty and he made it home.

Greg Evans led after the last MX test but Tom Sagar relished the tight woodland final XC test and emerged with a winning 14 second lead. Greg was 2nd and Daryl Bolter was 3rd. Danny McCanney was 4th and Jonny Walker was 5th. On the last test of the day Jamie Lewis snapped his chain and DNF'd. Jamie has had a great first season and one day he will forget this day but it won't be today.

Jack Rowland was the best of the Experts. Steve Halcombe was the runner up and Lewis Belfield was 3rd. The MPS Racing team also topped the Clubman class with a win for Robert Johnson. Fraser Flockart was 2nd and Aled Price was 3rd. Wyn Hughes won the Vets ahead of Paul Davies, Phil Smithson and Paul Sagar.

The Brechfa was a fabulous weekend. A good start area courtesy of the Evans Bros, a great course, brilliant weather, Fuschia tee shirts and a tremendous atmosphere. Dyfed Dirt Bike Club ticked all the boxes. Chris Hockey summed up many riders feelings at the end by saying "It is events like this that keep me riding enduros". 


Overall Day 1 Day 2 Class Day 1 Day 2 - Photos

A very busy July so far for the Fast EDDY / Edmondson Racing backed squad, continued over the weekend with their attendance at the DYFED BEC event.

Based in Llanybydder, West Wales, the long journey to the event was very much worthwhile as Team Principal Paul Edmondson topped the Championship E1/4T class on the opening day of the event followed by a P2 on Day two, to walk away with a 37 point haul for his efforts. Eager to prove himself following the difficulties of his third round result, He went into this event with real grit and determination which certainly showed in his riding style in the mud and ruts of the very soggy MX test. His vast experience in such conditions proved to be invaluable when lines and skill make up for a lack of sheer power in comparison to his E2 + E3 class rivals.

The teams E2 / 450cc rider Tom Sagar took a leap forward from his last round result to bounce back to his more usual front running position. With runner up position on Day 1 in the E2 class and going one better for Day two to win both the day and class overall for his weekends work in the muddy Brechfa Forest. His recovery from the recent foot injury is now virtually complete as his third place overall on Day One was to show. Feeling good and with his confidence restored, Tom was upbeat with his performance as he had to fight hard for every second over the eight timed tests to win day two overall by a significant 15-second margin. His next outing will be the GBXC event this coming weekend followed by the ISDE in Finland where he will be joined by Paul, in the prestigious ISDE British Trophy Team.

In the E1/2T Championship class Lee Edmondson continued his impressive form by taking the runner-up spot on both days. He was truly unlucky to have a single minute road penalty as he entered the checkpoint whilst watching the clock turn to the next minute as he approached the official! Even with this penalty he still retained P2 in class. His Day 2 result from the eight special test times were equally as painful as he was to lose out on the class win by a minuscule “Half a second” against his arch rival Ash Wood. This is where the transponder timing really is needed as both he and other riders are fighting hard for the win at all class and levels of the BEC.

A big thanks to the organising Dyfed Dirt Bike Club as the competition saw two tests, which were to the liking of all team riders. The one Enduro cross country test and one very muddy MX test proved to be very tough and demanded the significant experience of all three team members.

With just two rounds of the 2011 BEC Championship left to run all three riders are either first or second in their respective classes to mount a determined challenge on the three BEC titles up for grabs. Once again the team’s success could not have been achieved without the fantastic help from team mechanics and personnel plus huge support from the team’s sponsors.

We look forward to the final two rounds of the season in eager anticipation, especially the Natterjack where we have enjoyed strong results in previous years and hope to continue our successful challenge on the BEC series.


Gas Gas' Danny McCanney gathered another super-successful set of results from this weekend's Brechfa Two-Day Enduro (rounds six and seven of the 2011 British Enduro Championship) in Dyfed, Wales. Not only did McCanney again win the E3 class on both days but sensationally he took the outright win on the Saturday.

Danny McCanney: "I'm so happy to score my first outright BEC victory. I've shown the capability all year, but it takes a good day, where you minimise your mistakes and capitalise on your strengths to make the number one spot.

"This weekend Steve (Plain) had given me a great set-up on the Gas Gas CC300, it was such a joy to ride it made the whole day fun. Day two could have been more of the same only I crashed heavily in the first test and the impact numbed my leg, making the day difficult. To come away with fourth overall on day two wasn't bad in the circumstances. Importantly it puts me very close to claiming the E3 title for the year."

Steve Plain, Gas Gas team manager : "We've been looking forward to this day ever since we took Danny on board with Gas Gas. The event was very good, a bit tricky given the extremely wet week before, making the going very slick, quite technical - but Danny's Manx enduro experience really helped. He was especially good on the enduro test, and on the one tight check he was so fast they could have made it even tighter and he'd have still been clean.

"He was unlucky on day two to get injured so early on, but again he's shown his ever-improving skills and maturity to still bring it home fourth overall and record yet another class win."

Danny McCanney's next event is the International Six Days Enduro in Finland starting August 8. McCanney will ride his Gas Gas CC300 for the British Junior team.

Brechfa BEC Bonanza

The fourth round of the ACU/Metzeler British Enduro Championship saw the MPS Racing Husqvarna riders enjoy a treble success as the team’s young guns, Rob Johnson and Jack Rowlands headed their respective classes. The Brechfa Enduro, hosted by Dyfed Dirt Bike Club, proved to be quite a substantial test for the team. Two special tests, one enduro and one MX, were tough and muddy, testing the capabilities of all of the MPS riders. Championship rider Jordan Rose, on a Husqvarna TE449, began badly with a poor first test but quickly recovered to set some competitive times throughout the opening day although one further slow test time in the afternoon session put him down the results table despite riding well.

Joe Deakin in the Expert E1/4T class riding a Husqvarna TE250, was going well at the start of the competition but a slip on a very steep slope in the enduro test saw him dislocate his shoulder and his weekend was finished. Clubman E1/4T rider Johnson, also on a TE250, had an excellent weekend, topping the Clubman class on both days and adding significantly to his Championship points total. It was hard to imagine that this young rider is still relatively inexperienced at BEC level as he posted consistently good times throughout both days and was eventually a worthy winner of the Clubman class.

Jack Rowland, Husqvarna TE 250, faced very stiff competition in the Expert class but rose to the challenge and just missed top spot overall on the opening day by despite posting some very fast times. A reflective evening proved useful as he came out guns blazing on the second day and really set the pace from the first test to the last. Consistency and determination, added to this riders will to win, paid dividends as he won the extremely competitive and closely matched Expert class by less than 30 seconds as the day concluded. As the season nears completion, only two BEC events remain but the honour of representing Great Britain in the 2011 ISDE in Finland is priority for both Rose and Rowland in the coming weeks. We wish them the best of luck.